Monday, October 7, 2013

Out in the Boondocks


Kamusta Everybody
 This past week has been really good. I had my first baptism! Our converts name is Linmark. He is 14 years old and has a very strong testimony. I was expecting my companion to baptize him but when we asked who he wanted to do it he said that he wanted me to, it was a great experience. 
 I have gotten to know the area and the ward here a lot better. Most of the area is all mountains or in Tagalog bundok. I learned this past week that the term "out in the boondocks" comes from the Philippines. During WWII the natives would try and tell the Americans that the Japanese where out in the mountains. So the Americans would say to each other that they where going out to the boondocks. 
 For anyone who is familiar with how good I am at singing, here is a funny story for you (for those of you who don’t know my singing ability, I have none). Yesterday at church the youth were all practicing singing the Army of Helaman song for stake conference. They were having a little bit of trouble finding the right pitch so the choir director thought it would be a good idea to ask the American to show them how it sounds! And had it been any other American that might have been a good idea, unfortunately that American was me...  5 minutes, one red faced Elder Merrill, and several giggling young men later, the youth had a good idea of what a really bad sounding version of the song sounds like. 
 Well that is about all that has happened this week! I hope everyone is doing really well
   Mahal Kita
      Elder Merrill

Here is a picture of what it looks like here!

No comments:

Post a Comment